Winter in Toronto, Richmond Hill and Vaughan can be brutal. Not only does it get incredibly cold and snow to beat the band but the winter season lasts far longer than it does in most large metropolitan areas. If you’re going to get through the winter without spending your life savings on the heat you need to make sure your home is properly insulated. That means double pane windows, plenty of insulation in the exterior walls and attic and a garage door that isn’t an energy vacuum. Most folks don’t think about the garage door when they think about energy conservation, but they should.
5 Good Reasons to Consider Insulated Garage Doors
1) Energy savings – If you have an old, rickety sieve of a garage door you’re throwing money away every day you have the heat on. By replacing your old garage door with a fully insulated one you can raise the ambient temperature in the garage by as much as 25° F above the outdoor temperature and virtually eliminate drafts that pull air out of adjoining rooms. This will in turn make it cheaper to heat those rooms.
2) Fewer dead batteries – When the temperature in your garage is basically the same as it is outdoors your car’s battery is often the first casualty. Installing an insulated garage door can help keep your car battery sufficiently warm so that it will perform when you want it and expect it to. No more calling for jump starts or taking a cab to work.
3) Reduced street noise – Most folks aren’t aware of just how much noise filters in through their old garage door until they replace it with a snug, insulated one. In addition, today’s garage doors run almost silently. So not only will your new door make your home quieter when it’s closed but it won’t wake up the neighborhood when it’s opening either.
4) Increased reliability – When the arctic cold has settled in it’s not uncommon for folks to find their garage door frozen shut. This typically occurs when the temperature inside is essentially the same as the outdoor temperature. With insulated garage doors keeping your garage 20-25° warmer than outside you’ll eliminate the frozen garage door hassle once and for all.
5) Enhanced usage of the garage – Most people turn their garage over to the elements during the winter months except when they’re going to or coming from the car. But with insulated garage doors, you open up possibilities for the garage that never existed before. Because it’s so much warmer you can store things there you never would have in the past. Or, you can create a workshop that will likely be warm enough to use even on the coldest days.
For years garage doors were the wild card when it came to many a home insulation project. Homeowners would invest time and money trying to winterize their home effectively, only to find their savings weren’t what they anticipated; until they turned their attention to the garage door. Don’t let a leaky, uninsulated garage door cost you big next winter. Consider a beautiful, energy-efficient insulated door instead and keep more of the money you work so hard for.
Smart Doors are the residential garage door and commercial garage door company more homeowners in Toronto, Richmond Hill and Vaughan trust for all their overhead door needs and are always happy to take your call and answer any question you may have about insulated garage doors or garage door repair service. Call us on 905-532-9770.