The garage door is the largest thing on your home that’s visible from the street. Consequently, if your Toronto garage door is not up to snuff the perception of your entire home suffers. If you’re attempting to sell your Toronto, Vaughan or Richmond Hill home the effect of having an unattractive, old or damaged garage door can be that your home lingers on the market for months or longer. The bottom line is that whether you plan to move or stay put you’ll want to have a garage door that reflects well upon the house and everyone who lives in it and custom garage doors are the best way to ensure this.
Designing Custom Garage Doors
Opting for custom garage doors is a smart move for a number of reasons but one that requires careful consideration of the factors involved. Those factors include:
- Budget – As with any home improvement project, the budget will go a long way toward determining what is possible and what isn’t. Keep in mind however that the difference between a good custom garage door and a great one is not as big as the difference between say, a good car and a great car. Spending just a bit more than you might initially plan could result in a stunning piece of home equipment that will last for decades.
- Style – In some cases, a home’s design simply doesn’t lend itself to off-the-shelf garage doors. If this is your home a custom design is an ideal solution. Don’t forget though that a radical design like a single-piece door that slides away either vertically or horizontally or tucks into a wall will need space to accommodate it when it’s open. In other words, don’t lose sight of the physical limitations of the house when determining a style for your custom door.
- Materials – Aluminum and fiberglass are two garage door materials that are lightweight and can be fully insulated (Read more about our Toronto Insulated Garage Door Service). Some beautiful doors today are made using tempered glass panels tinted to the color and opacity of your choice. At Smart Doors we specialize in custom wood doors that can be designed to match any style of home from colonial to modern. Custom-designed wood garage doors possess a timeless appeal other materials simply can’t match.
- Size – The garage door opener is what it is. Isn’t it? Sure. But some folks have 2 car garages but have never had more than one car. In those cases, a lot of energy is wasted every time that huge double-wide door is raised. This can be addressed with a custom door assembly that includes a narrower overhead door for your car and fixed sections that fill out the rest. You’ll save energy and free up space inside the garage for other things like a workshop or storage.
- Fabrication and installation – Deciding to go with a custom door is one thing. Finding the right company to fabricate and install it for you is another. You’ll want to make sure the company you choose has extensive experience with custom garage doors in Toronto and a portfolio of overhead garage doors they’ve designed, fabricated and installed themselves. When it comes to any type of custom component for your home it just doesn’t pay to take chances on unproven contractors.
Talk to the custom garage doors team at Smart Doors for answers to all residential garage door and commercial garage door questions. We’ve been providing premium garage door installation in Toronto, Vaughan and Richmond Hill for more than 10 years and have the expertise to create a custom garage door for you that will make your home stand apart from the pack.