We all know how tough the winters can be in Toronto and so people are doing anything to keep their homes as warm and energy efficient as possible. The answer isn’t as hard or as expensive as you might think; from installing an insulated overhead garage door to a few other little home improvements, there are several ways in which you can ensure your garage is energy efficient and that your garage and your home are kept warm as a result.
Why You Should Buy an Insulated Garage Door
If you’re concerned about energy efficiency in your garage, the most important thing to consider is installing an insulated garage door.
- A large amount of heat lost in the garage comes from the door, so ensuring that yours is well-insulated will mean that you can help to keep the heat inside and minimize heat lost from this area, keeping you warmer.
- As they keep heat inside, they can save a fortune on heating costs. A good furnace is useless without good insulation, so by installing an insulated garage door you can lessen the length of time you need to run a furnace and lower the heat, as less heat will be lost through the garage door, saving you money in the long run.
- It’s possible to buy an insulation kit for your garage door. Whilst this may be the cheaper option, it won’t be anywhere near as effective as buying a garage door that was purposefully designed to be a good insulator. Insulation is measured in “R value”, so picking a door with the higher R-value means it will be a better insulator, keeping you both warmer and saving money on your fuel costs.
3 Other Ways to Make Your Garage More Energy Efficient
- An insulated garage door is not the only key to keeping your garage more efficient. More often than not, garages tend to share their walls with those of a house. Therefore, if your walls are not insulated, not only is your garage less energy efficient, it means that your home is less energy efficient too.
- By insulating the walls of your garage, you’re not only keeping the cold air out of your house, but you’re also minimizing the amount of heat lost from your home too.
- Not only does it keep heat inside in the winter, it will also keep the heat out in the summer.
- It’s easy – simply roll the insulation between your joists or blow it in through a small hall hole.
2. Insulate the Ceiling
- Much like with the walls, a great deal of heat is lost through the ceiling which impacts both the garage and the house, making it a priority
- By doing something as simple as placing the fiberglass batts between the ceiling and the roof, you can minimize the amount of heat lost through the garage, making it more efficient.
3. Insulate the Floor
- The winters in Toronto GTA can be cruel, and the last thing you want to do is step onto your cold, garage floor.
- Foam insulation under the floor of your garage can make it both more comfortable to walk on and improve the energy efficiency of your garage.
Make Your Garage More Energy Efficient Today
The energy efficiency of your garage is a serious issue, having an effect on both the heat of your home and your wallet. Installing an insulated garage door is one of the most effective ways of improving energy efficiency, but there are other ways, such as insulating the walls, ceiling, and floor of your garage. Follow this advice and both your home and garage will be warmer and more energy efficient.
Since 1992, Smart Door has been the go-to business for overhead garage door installation and replacement in the Toronto GTA region thanks to its more than three decades of experience. We are experts in a broad selection of contemporary garage doors, accommodating different tastes and fashions. We provide overhead garage doors with the classic attractiveness of wood or wooden accents, sleek glass garage doors, elegant modern garage doors, strong fiberglass garage doors, and smooth black overhead doors. Along with giving alternatives with stamped, recessed, and raised panels, as well as window inserts to increase the aesthetic appeal, we also excel at installing conventional carriage-style garage doors. We cordially encourage you to stop by our Concord Overhead garage doors showroom to check out our wide range of overhead garage door alternatives, including those for commercial use.