Glass is such a beautiful and versatile material; as subtle or as flashy as you like, glass can be used to achieve a sleek and modern look just as well as more elaborate and classic styles. In some instances glass can also be the more practical choice of material as it allows visibility on the inside without having to turn interior lights on or open the garage door. Your glass garage doors simply requires a wipe with ordinary window cleaner in order to stay clean and the aluminium alloy frame – the most common frame material for this purpose – is strong, lightweight and corrosion resistant. Should there be a breakage, the fact that the panes are installed in sections also makes it simple and efficient to replace only the affected section.
The Types of Glass that Can be used for Your Glass Garage Doors
- Textured Glass: Frosted, rippled, glazed, water glass, chorded, pin-head, crinkled, bevelled and more. Textured glass is a beautiful way to add some privacy and stylish design to your otherwise transparent glass garage doors. Textured glass also combines very nicely with stained glass.
- Stained Glass: This can be absolutely stunning when executed by a skilled artisan. Stained glass is a favourite of those seeking a vintage look and feel but is also used by those of a more modern bent who simply wish to add colour to the exterior of their home and / or the natural light that comes streaming in. Stained glass garage doors are most commonly achieved by a combination of glass, lead and copper fastenings.
- Insulated Glass: This is made by securely sealing two panes of glass together with a gap in between them. The dry air filling this gap is a relatively poor conductor of sound and temperature so it allows you to keep the weather outside and maintain a comfortable and quiet interior environment whilst still allowing some light in.
- Clear Glass: We would recommend this type of glass for those of you in Toronto, Vaughan and Richmond Hill who are willing to sacrifice privacy for a view out of your garage that is just too good to miss or something inside your garage that you just can’t stop looking at, even when you’re outside. It actually looks really stylish and timeless in and of itself too, though it certainly isn’t as strong as the next option.
- Toughened Glass: Tempered to withstand extremes of temperature and force, you most probably encounter toughened glass every day in automobiles, buildings, doors and glass partitions. This is easily the most utilitarian choice of the bunch, though that doesn’t stop it from being quite an attractive option too. The treatment gives toughened glass a very crisp, clear and reassuringly solid look and feel. It is designed to put up with as much punishment as possible before breaking and even then, to break in a predictable and safe manner. Choose this if you value strength over privacy.
By now you have probably realised that you will be making quite a statement with your glass garage doors no matter what type of glass you choose. If you care about your garage door as much as we do you will barely be able to sit still for all your excitement about the possibilities available. Hold your horses though; Smart Doors can help you to navigate all of these options with expert and professional guidance to ensure that your garage in Toronto, Vaughan or Richmond Hill gets the very best door that can be fitted to it. Call us now for a free home evaluation!