For the average home with a garage, it is not unusual for the garage door to be opened or closed 500 or more times every year. That is an incredible amount of use when you take into consideration the weight of the door, the door design (single piece or sectional), movement along the tracks, operation of the electric door opener, and many other factors that contribute to smooth, trouble free operation. Over time, it is not unusual for homeowners to call a garage doors service company, and none is more trusted or experienced than Smart Doors.
Based in Concord, Ontario, Smart Doors has been the premier garage doors service company for home and business owners in Toronto, Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, Brampton, and all points between for more than a decade. Whether you are looking to purchase a new door, repair the one already installed, or are looking for a remote control or other accessories, we have the widest selection of any garage door company in the region. Your garage is an important part of your home and is more than just storage, a lot of homes have important electrical components including the outlet for their central vacuum in their garage.
When it comes to garage doors, ongoing maintenance should never be ignored. If properly maintained, most residential garage doors will last between 10 and 20 years before needing to be replaced. A garage doors service company can handle major repairs, but the typical homeowner can handle a number of maintenance related tasks.
- Check to make sure hardware is tightened properly. This means checking screws on the plates for swing doors, and hinges on roll-up doors. Screws can be tightened or replaced, the same goes for hinges. For wood doors, screws may be loose because of holes that are too large, in which case wood filler can be used and the screws re-set.
- Visually inspect metal tracks. One of the fallacies of garage doors service is that homeowners will know something is wrong with their door if it or the opener starts making strange noises. This is false. Problems can begin long before that point. Dents or flat areas in the track can be repaired with a hammer or rubber mallet; tracks on opposite walls should be at the same height, but can be leveled by tightening or re-setting screws.
- Inspect the rollers, pulleys, and torsion springs. Rollers and pulleys can be replaced, but to be safe we always recommend calling a garage doors service company for assistance with torsion springs.
- Inspect the lift cable, but be careful to not touch it with your hands. It is under extreme pressure, just like torsion springs. If any of the strands of cable are frayed or broke, call a professional garage door company for help.
- Use lithium based grease to lubricate the chain or screw drive for the electric garage door opener if they are making noise.
Garage doors not only add beauty and character to any home, but also provide security for people, possessions, and your overall residence. With the right maintenance, they could last for decades. For other maintenance tips or information, call Smart Doors today at 905-532-9770.