Buying a new home is one of the biggest and most important purchases that anyone can make. Sometimes a life-altering event, it is often the culmination of years of sacrificing, saving, and dreaming. Everything has to be right, from the roof and windows to landscaping to interior decor. Just as important for homeowners are the kind of garage door that gets installed. At Smart Doors, we are the number one garage doors installation company in the Greater Toronto Area famous for our selection, professional services, and affordability.
As a leading garage doors installation contractor, we pride ourselves on educating homeowners about the different types of doors and accessories available. When speaking with a sales associate or installation professional, keep in mind the following terms.
- A-Frame is a support mechanism used to fasten a vertical lift door torsion spring assembly to the wall above the door opening.
- Astragal is the weatherstrip that a garage doors installation company will affix to the bottom rail or extrusion of the door to create a tight seal against the floor and keep out cold air or rain, for instance.
- The bottom Fixture, also known as a Bottom Corner Bracket, is a structural support that holds track rollers and is provided for attachment of the lifting cables on sectional style garage doors.
- Cable Clamps are a kind of safety device that holds two pieces of cable together, with the size of the clamps determined by the cable diameter.
- A chain Hoist is a sprocket or pocket wheel attached to a chain-operated shaft that gives varying mechanical advantages in ratios such 2 to 1.3 to 1 or 4 to 1.
- The double Low Headroom Track is a support mechanism with a pair of tracks used to lower the high point of travel of the top of a door and allow for residential garage doors and commercial garage doors installation in a low headroom setting.
- Electric Opener refers to the motorized device installed between the tracks, usually in the middle of the space reserved for the door, that opens and closes the overhead garage door.
- Extension Springs provide a counterbalance and lifting power by stretching. They are typically installed above horizontal tracks.
- Horizontal Track Assembly is constructed of a section of track that can be reinforced with a piece of angle that is used to guide and support the door when it is horizontal.
- Inside Lock is a spring-loaded, sliding deadbolt lock that can only be accessed from the inside of the garage.
- Jamb Seal is a kind of weather-stripping attached to doorjambs to seal it from the elements.
- Lift Clearance is the distance above the top of the door opening to the centerline of the horizontal track and is often confused with “headroom.”
- Outside Hookup refers to the bottom fixture with an arm that bends around a vertical track and receives lifting cables. It is normally used in a low headroom setting.
Call us at 905-532-9770 for more information on garage doors installation.
SMART DOORS is located in Concord, Ontario, and is the garage door company of choice for residents and business owners in nearby Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Markham, Aurora, and Maple. When you’re ready to buy, have a question, or need garage door service or repair, visit us online, stop by, or call 905-532-9770 today for a no-obligation consultation