When they think of garage doors most people still think of painted wooden panels. But like most other components of the home, garage doors have moved on to embrace both new fabrication techniques and materials. Yes, wood may still be the default choice of many homeowners but those days are coming to an end as more and more people discover the many advantages of aluminum. Still, in spite of the fact that many of their neighbors in Toronto, Vaughan and Richmond Hill have embraced aluminum garage doors some homeowners are still reluctant to make the change.
Important Facts About Aluminum Garage Doors
While aluminum doors are becoming more popular by the day some homeowners still want to know more before deciding if aluminum is the way to go for their home. So here are 5 important facts regarding aluminum garage doors.
- Aluminum will not rust or rot: Steel garage doors are susceptible to rust, especially in high-humidity areas like those along the lakeshore. Lots of snow and ice piled up against the door during the winter will also promote rust and will be devilishly hard to counteract. As a result, regular maintenance is a must. The same is true for wood. Leave your wooden door unattended and you’re asking for rot along the baseline. With aluminum, you don’t have to worry about either problem.
- Aluminum doors are light: Heavy garage doors put a lot of stress and strain on the torsion spring and motor. Aluminum doors however are typically lighter than most others, meaning your lift mechanism will last longer and require less maintenance. Also, should your motor malfunction for some reason, meaning you have to lift the door by hand, you’ll really come to appreciate its lightweight construction.
- Aluminum provides design flexibility: Aluminum garage doors are sometimes thought of as too “industrial” for residential use. But the aluminum garage door installed on your home will have little in common aesthetically with an aluminum door installed on a warehouse. Residential aluminum doors are available with a variety of textured surfaces, including a range of artificial wood grains that are very realistic. Aluminum can also be painted in whatever manner you wish to accommodate changes you make to the exterior of the house.
- Aluminum doors are eco-friendly: Just about everyone today understands the need to act in an environmentally friendly way and to use the most environmentally responsible materials possible when repairing or remodeling the home. Aluminum garage doors fit the bill perfectly. Most are fabricated from recycled material and can be 100% recycled themselves at the end of their long life. No more taking down the old garage door and dumping it in the landfill.
- Long term value: When you add up the amount you’ll save on garage doors repair service, the amount you’ll save by not having to replace your motor and torsion spring, the amount you’ll save because the aluminum door just lasts longer than doors made of other materials, including wood, and the significant bump in value your home will experience when you install an aluminum garage door you understand what a sound financial decision they can be.
Smart Doors are the GTA’s benchmark for quality residential garage doors and commercial garage doors sales and installations. We offer a two-year warranty on all our doors which, when combined with generous manufacturer warranties, means our customers can rest easy knowing their new aluminum garage doors will not only look great but will always be in top condition. Don’t spend another day wondering whether or not an aluminum garage door might be right for your Toronto, Vaughan or Richmond Hill home. Call us on (905) 532-9770 and find out today.